Pages

Friday, April 17, 2009

Life's Short

I stood on the balcony on the 11th floor of my hotel room, and gazed out into the Meditereanean Sea. The water gleamed with the sun's reflection, truly a beautiful and tranquil sight. The Alexandrian breeze lifted my daughters hair and she turned to me and said "upa upa" demanding to be carried. As I stood there with my daughter of 2 and a half in my arms I began to ponder the situation.

Thoughts began to rush to mind... It was very probable that my parent's had stood in this exact spot and looked at the same sun glazed sea. At that time I was the one demanding to be carried though. The days had passed and now I was the one doing the carrying. When I returned home, I spoke to my parent's about this notion. They confirmed my thoughts. More than 25 years had gone by. It seemed like yesterday that my mother had watched me off to my first day of elementary school. It was just the day before, when my parent's watched with a gleam in their eyes as I took my first steps. When they thought back of it all, it felt like a blink of the eye. The point is: Life is Short.

When you think back on your life, you may find that you lived a busy and full life. But what is it that you left behind for humanity? What is your unique mark onto life? That's what really matters. Never belittle your accomplishments. No matter how big or small your contibution is, one should exist.

2 comments:

  1. Well said!

    This always goes through my mind. Especially when I see childhood friends now with multiple babies (hint hint) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wise turtle once said, "What's passed is history, and what's next is a mystery. And today is a gift, that's why they call it present." (from Kungfu Panda)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment...